There is no doubt that our mental health is closely related to the food we take everyday; it not only drives our mood from day to day but also has long-term effect on our memory and other various aspects of our mind. Here is a list of different types of food that are aimed to tackle various aspects of the brain and ensure good mental health. Be sure to take a nutritionist’s opinion to fit your dietary necessities.
1) Fatty fishes: Studies have shown that fatty fishes like “Pangash Maachh”, salmon,
mackerel and other such fishes are high in Omega3. Omega3s affect the chemicals in our brain like serotonin and dopamine and give an immediate boost to our mood. It also helps with depression, schizophrenia and other mental illnesses in the long run.
2) Grains: Glucose, which produced by carbohydrates, are the main source of energy for our brain. Rather than simple carbs, complex carbs release glucose slowly into the brain that helps us stay full longer and keep our moods steady. Glucose can be found in whole-wheat foodstuffs, oats, barley, grains, etc, which are also a great source of fiber.
3) Fruits: Fruits like citrus, grapefruits, oranges, limes and lemons are packed
with flavonoids. Flavonoids are a chemical composition that extensively boosts our memory and recollection power. You can have an assortment of such fruits for snack in the evening or after lunch. Not only that, they help with metabolism and drastically help with reduction of fat and cholesterol.
4) Poultry: After carbohydrates, the most abundant chemical present in our body is protein. The amino acid that makes protein, tryptophan affects our mood by producing the chemical serotonin which gives our mood a burst of energy. Besides keeping us full, the energy we get from lean meats such as chicken is very important for building muscles that helps to eliminate storage of fat cells.
5) Spices: Instead of salt and pepper in your cooking, use more spices like
cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, green chili or red chili powder to bring out the flavor in your dishes. Spices have a blend of high antioxidants that work brilliantly to help stabilize our mental health.
6) Vegetables and Leafy Greens: Vegetables and our very own “shaak pata” are perhaps the most important food supplement to ensure mental as well as our physical health. These foods contain high levels of folic acids that are associated with depression, fatigue and insomnia. Broccoli, spinach and intake of basically any other greens, as well as onions keep these mental illnesses under control. And not only that, it ensures overall physical and mental vitality.
7) Nuts: It is no surprise for nuts to be included in the list; it is one of the
greatest supplements to help boost and sharpen our memory. Have at least four walnuts a day to ensure goo memory. And besides that, combine walnuts, peanuts, cashews and such in your salads and other food to intake Omega3 acids and antioxidants that help reduce insomnia and stabilize your mood.
8) Curd and Yogurt: Fermented products such as sour curds and yogurts contain probiotics, good bacteria that help level stress hormones and reduce anxiety. It also helps digestion and metabolism which in turn helps you stay in a good mood throughout the day.
These are the building blocks of some of the food that is a sure-shot to ensure good mental health as well as physical health. Consuming these foods regularly and in a monitored amount will guarantee a healthy and vital lifestyle for you and your family.